VBOX3i 100hz RTK 2cm
The VBOX3i 100hz RTK 2cm combined with a Base Station is the fastest, and highest accuracy GPS system which is commercially available. By using Real Time Kinematic techniques, repeatable, stable results to within 2cm are achievable, at 100 individual updates a second, making this ideal for measuring the precise location of your vehicle under test
The position calculated by GPS suffers from various effects which dilute the precision of the result. Without a Base Station, a survey grade GPS engine will give around 3m accuracy in stand alone mode, and the best position accuracy you can get is around 1m using the free SBAS services such as WAAS and EGNOS.
However, if you add another GPS engine at a fixed position, then the majority of errors can be calculated and removed from the final result.How Does It Work?
In order to improve this technique, the Base Station and VBOX 3i RTK unit both track the Russian Glonass range of navigation satellites as well as the normal GPS constellation. The Glonass satellite navigation system now rivals the US GPS network, with 24 satellites now in operation.
The advantage of using both sets of constellations is that there are almost twice as many measurements available to use, another reason is they are on two slightly different frequencies. This allows sophisticated algorithms inside the GPS engines to eliminate all of the major errors normally associated with position estimation, leading to the highest accuracy GPS engine on the market today.However, if you add another GPS engine at a fixed position, then the majority of errors can be calculated and removed from the final result.
The high accuracy GPS system used in the VBOX 3i RTK, relies on a fixed Racelogic Base Station to send correction messages via radio which are then received and applied to the position calculations in real time.
The VBOX 3i has a host of features which makes it a very powerful and flexible vehicle testing data logger.
- 100Hz logging to CF memory card
- High brake stop accuracy up to ±1.8cm
- Very low latency: 8.5 ±1.5 mS
- Oversampled brake/event trigger input (25nS)
- 4x analogue inputs
- 1x default CAN Bus port for input module expansion
- 1x configurable CAN Bus for vehicle CAN interface or VBOX data output
- Easy to fit and transport
- Real-time result display via serial, USB or Bluetooth
- User configurable logging conditions
- IMU integration
- Wide 7V to 30V operating range
- Low current consumption
- Audio voice tagging
- VBOX 3i is compatible with all existing peripherals. See Modules, Telemetry Systems and Display Overview for more information.
VBOX 3i has the ability to utilise data from a Racelogic IMU and uses a Kalman Filter to improve all parameters measured in real-time. All captured data is processed at 100Hz, improving accuracy / noise levels and enhancing the dynamic response to velocity.
IMU integration ensures accurate test results in areas of unreliable satellite reception, typically caused by trees, buildings and bridges.
The vehicle’s attitude (pitch, roll and yaw angles) is also measured to a high accuracy without the need to use a dual antenna system (roll/pitch at 0.1° rms, Yaw at 0.5° rms). Dynamic overshoot is eliminated through lever arm correction.
VBOX 3i can be used for a multitude of test applications such as
The VBOX Tools analysis package allows you to carry out sophisticated tests in real-time and in post processing.
All parameters can be viewed in a customisable graph, and the data can be scanned, analysed and manipulated using the very powerful Report Generator function.
RepGen is very customizable, allowing results to be produced for virtually any type of automotive test. All created configurations can be saved and easily recalled for future analysis.
For customers with focused test requirements, we offer dedicated software packages to simplify the test procedure:
2x CAN Bus
- Two CAN Bus interfaces are available. By utilising separate CAN Bus connections it allows data to be logged from external modules (e.g. TC8, FIM03). Up to 16 CAN signals can also be logged from a different CAN source (e.g. Vehicle CAN Bus, laser height sensors, or steering wheel sensor). When logging data from another source, VBOX Tools can load signal data from an industry standard CAN database file (.DBC).
- By using a physical pressure switch on the brake pedal, a precise ‘start of braking event’ can be captured. The brake/event trigger input is oversampled to 25nS for high distance accuracy.
- A start/stop logging switch allows users to manually choose when they wish to record data.
4x Analogue Inputs
- Each of the four analogue input channels have a dedicated 24bit analogue converter. Data is recorded from each channel simultaneously to avoid latency between analogue channel data. The name, scale and offset of each analogue input channel can be adjusted using VBOX Tools software to allow sensor calibration and therefore logging of data in standard SI units. The analogue input connector also provides two power outputs that may be used for driving sensors. These are in the form of a 5v DC isolated supply and an output equal to the VBOX power supply voltage. Log rates can be set to either 100Hz or 500Hz.
- VBOX 3i RTK 2cm can record a GPS synchronised WAV audio tag up to 30 seconds long to a time accuracy of 0.5 sec. The recorded WAV file is then logged to the CF card.
- VBOX 3i can accept a supply voltage between 7 to 30V DC. Low current consumption results in extended battery life.
- One of the two VBOX CAN ports can be used to output VBOX GPS parameters plus any 12 channels from connected input modules or internal AD channels. The baud rate and CAN id’s for these outputs are user configurable.
- The RS232 connector is used for VBOX configuration and output of real-time GPS data. Provides the facility to connect to a radio telemetry system to offer PC monitoring of test data.
- VBOX 3i USB connector can be used for VBOX configuration and to output real-time data at 100Hz to a PC.
- VBOX 3i comes equipped with an internal Bluetooth Radio allowing remote configuration and remote output of real-time GPS data to any Bluetooth capable PC or Data logger. The Bluetooth connection is capable of sending data at the full 100Hz rate.
2x Digital Outputs
- The first digital output is assigned to ‘Speed/Distance’ with adjustable ‘Pulses per Meter’ setting, while the second output is a level switch output enabling users to select any one of the logged channels and assign it a threshold value, e.g. output high (5V) when speed greater than 20kmh.
2x Analogue Outputs
- Both 16bit analogue outputs can be configured to output velocity (or other GPS parameters) for use by additional data logging equipment. The voltage output range is from 0 to 5v DC with a resolution of 76 μV per bit.
- Data is logged in a space-delimited text format. Recording time dependent on flash card capacity, log frequency, number of channels and logging conditions. Approximately 29Mb per hour used when logging GPS data at 100Hz; approx. 182Mb per hour total logging capacity.
To Enquire about the VBOX 3i or to discuss your application, please Contact us